We’re in the middle of a video post storm! Nonetheless, enjoy this episode of Spinning Minis, featuring my Leviathan Siege Dreadnought!
I have a lot of love for the Contemptor dreadnoughts – they look nimble and yet hearty, and they look both advanced and anachronistic compared to the standard dreadnought. I love them… but I wasn’t quite ready to buy a few from Forge World.
The Betrayal at Calth set gave us the plastic Contemptor, albeit in a single pose. So, with two plastic Contemptors in hand, I ordered the Relic Contemptor I’d had my eye on for years, as well as a variety of arms. With a jeweler’s saw and some green stuff, I magnetized all three of these at the elbow, and reposed the legs of the single pose Contemptor. I was also able to give one of the plastic Contemptors a different head (from the Contemptor Whirlwind pack) as well as a magnet on top for an optional missile rack. Here’s the end result:
From left to right, they are Ultera, Optimus, and Omegas. To prove they’re all magnetized, here’re some bits swapped around!
And while I was at it, I got a nice Cyclonic Melta Lance for Maximir!
More to come soon!
Maximir, the Leviathan Dreanought of the Basilican Space Marines Chapter, stands finished!
The base has been painted up, some more scrollwork was added to the left shoulder, the cross was added to the right shoulder, and various nicks and scratches were painted in. Also, his torso-mounted heavy flamers were painted. Here are more photos!
So I’ve made great (if slow) progress on the Leviathan Dreadnought (affectionately called “Max”). After priming, I put on my blue basecoat. This didn’t go so well – not sure if the primer didn’t take, or the paint mix was wrong, but I had to strip him once and still had problems with the second try. Still, I got it done eventually.
Then I followed my normal process – I added other base colors over the model, such as the joints, the grill on the chest, and the blades of the claws. Then, I did an airbrushed wash using Pledge floor wax mixed with a burnt umber, and wiped most of it away with a t-shirt. That left me with this:
I really loved Forgeworld’s Leviathan Dreadnought when I saw it, and the model did not disappoint. It’s massive and hefty, which is what I think of when I think “dreadnought.” I got a siege claw and a storm cannon to go on for now.
I magnetized the weapons at the elbow, which seemed easier than the shoulder joint. I also magnetized the flamer/volkite weapons at the waist. I didn’t magnetize the missile launcher/phosphex discharger – there’s not much area to drill into except detail I didn’t want to ruin, and it’s an easy piece to tack on with wall mounting putty if I want to.
My favorite part of assembling it, though, was making a nice decorative base. Using the front bit of a Rhino (left over from a Demolisher), a Rhino door, Chaos Space Marine bits, and some Rhino tracks I got in a bits box, I gave the Leviathan Dreadnought something nice to stand on.
Assembled and posed, this is now one of my favorite minis that I own. For this picture, I tacked the model together, but I intend to paint it separately (base, legs, body, head, top cover, and weapons individually).
Stay tuned for a painting adventure!