I have two more Imperial Knights in the assembly line (to make a nice round army of five Knights), so here’s a sneak peek!
The Knights use Forge World heads – I already used the heads I liked from the kit, so it was time for some new ones. Also, the Knight on the left had a base decorated with the wreckage of a Warlord Titan! But no worries – I didn’t wreck a Warlord Titan model, I made some quick partial molds of chunks of the Warlord Titan, then cast those to make some wrecked pieces. (Hopefully, that doesn’t land me in any trouble with Games Workshop!)
More to come when these two (Veneratus, left, and Victoria, right) are finished!
The third in my eventually-five-part series on the Imperial Knights of House Basilius is the Knight Warden Unassailable, piloted by the noble Duke Balthezar. The good duke is the Kingsward, sworn to protect the King of House Basilius at all costs. A veteran of countless conflicts, Duke Balthezar has adorned Unassailable with numerous icons and sigils.
As per usual, we start with the base colors, which gives us a pretty awkward-looking model. In this case, all the white is extremely off-putting in the early stages.
Next up in my growing collection of Imperial Knights of House Basilius is the Black Queen, a Knight Gallant piloted by Baroness Lucinda. She is the King’s Gladius, a position like the Master of Judgment found in many other Imperial-aligned Houses.
After priming, the first thing I do is lay down the base colors. In this case, Black Queen got a lot of black alongside the basic blue of House Basilius:
When we last left the first Imperial Knight I painted, he was basically finished. But when I started one my second and third Imperial Knights, I realized there were things I wanted to touch up on my first Knight.
I also created his fluff – meet Sir Sardaur of House Basilius, pilot of the Imperial Knight Paladin named Adamantine. Sir Sardaur is the King’s Herald, a position which is given by tradition of the House to an up-and-coming Knight (rather than a Baron) as a sign of the King’s favor. Sir Sardaur’s personal sigil is a sword driven through a heart.
This was my first time airbrushing a model. It was my first time using “Future Shine” to make a wash. It was my first time painting free-hand symbols on a model (I’ve painted freehand on bigger surfaces before). And everything came out great! This just proves a personal motto of mine, “Just do it. It will come out better than you think it will.”
Here’s the (basically) finished model, and this picture really shows how effective the “Future Shine” wash was – all the brown shading is from that wash.
After I got the blue, white, and black airbrushed on, I did a wash. This was also airbrushed on – a mix of brown paint and Pledge Floor Care (aka the legendary Future Shine). Immediately after I applied the layer of paint and floor shine, I wiped it with an old t-shirt. This allows you to push the paint/Pledge mix into the crevices, giving a nice aging to the model before I applied more paint.
Once I laid down the metallics, I added the color. I only wanted to add two colors with the airbrush – blue (GW’s Thunderhawk Blue) and black (Vallejo model color). I was extremely worried about mixing the GW paint – how to get it out of the pot, what to mix it with, how “milky” should it be?
I got the paint from the pot to a mixing cup by using a small popsicle stick (one intended for crafting). I then poured in some isopropyl alcohol to thin it and some airbrush medium (Golden brand) to help it “flow,” although I’m not 100% sure what that means. When the color stuck to the sides of the cup, but the majority of the liquid flowed back down, I decided to go for it.
Much to my surprise, it flowed perfectly, coated evenly, and worked like a charm. The GW paints are really, really good acrylic paints, and so far, no matter how I mix them, they seem to work really well. They are, of course, more expensive than most any other paint. But the results were spectacular.
One of the most intimidating figures I have as far as painting goes is the Imperial Knight. But, since it’s The Year of Painting, I decided to jump right at it. I left some pieces off for painting – the top armor, shoulders, and faceplate – but really, I should have left all the armor off – I would have had a much easier time!
I started with a normal coat of gray spray primer (I used the hardware store brands):