The Save vs Blog YouTube Channel now has a new feature – Spinning Minis!
This web series will feature minis… spinning. Pretty simple. Plus, background music composed by yours truly! How fantastic! Here’s the first episode:
Great, right? These are Contemptor Dreadnoughts from my homemade Chapter, The Basilicans (who are, yeah, basically just the Ultramarines). Two of them are slightly converted plastic Contemptors from Betrayal at Calth, while the third is a Relic Contemptor from Forge World.
I do owe the blog a post with photos of those Contemptor Dreadnoughts all finished up, but in the meantime, enjoy Spinning Minis!
AND BE SURE TO LIKE THE VIDEOS AND SUBSCRIBE TO THE SAVE VS BLOG CHANNEL!
I have a lot of love for the Contemptor dreadnoughts – they look nimble and yet hearty, and they look both advanced and anachronistic compared to the standard dreadnought. I love them… but I wasn’t quite ready to buy a few from Forge World.
The Betrayal at Calth set gave us the plastic Contemptor, albeit in a single pose. So, with two plastic Contemptors in hand, I ordered the Relic Contemptor I’d had my eye on for years, as well as a variety of arms. With a jeweler’s saw and some green stuff, I magnetized all three of these at the elbow, and reposed the legs of the single pose Contemptor. I was also able to give one of the plastic Contemptors a different head (from the Contemptor Whirlwind pack) as well as a magnet on top for an optional missile rack. Here’s the end result:
From left to right, they are Ultera, Optimus, and Omegas. To prove they’re all magnetized, here’re some bits swapped around!
And while I was at it, I got a nice Cyclonic Melta Lance for Maximir!
Maximir, the Leviathan Dreanought of the Basilican Space Marines Chapter, stands finished!
The base has been painted up, some more scrollwork was added to the left shoulder, the cross was added to the right shoulder, and various nicks and scratches were painted in. Also, his torso-mounted heavy flamers were painted. Here are more photos!
So I’ve made great (if slow) progress on the Leviathan Dreadnought (affectionately called “Max”). After priming, I put on my blue basecoat. This didn’t go so well – not sure if the primer didn’t take, or the paint mix was wrong, but I had to strip him once and still had problems with the second try. Still, I got it done eventually.
Then I followed my normal process – I added other base colors over the model, such as the joints, the grill on the chest, and the blades of the claws. Then, I did an airbrushed wash using Pledge floor wax mixed with a burnt umber, and wiped most of it away with a t-shirt. That left me with this: