Painting the Leviathan Dreadnought, Part 1

So I’ve made great (if slow) progress on the Leviathan Dreadnought (affectionately called “Max”). After priming, I put on my blue basecoat. This didn’t go so well – not sure if the primer didn’t take, or the paint mix was wrong, but I had to strip him once and still had problems with the second try. Still, I got it done eventually.

Then I followed my normal process – I added other base colors over the model, such as the joints, the grill on the chest, and the blades of the claws. Then, I did an airbrushed wash using Pledge floor wax mixed with a burnt umber, and wiped most of it away with a t-shirt. That left me with this:

All the parts of the dreadnought, painted
Paper plates are my palettes, my model trays, and my lifelong friends.

Continue reading Painting the Leviathan Dreadnought, Part 1

The Year of Painting: Imperial Knight, Part 4

This was my first time airbrushing a model. It was my first time using “Future Shine” to make a wash. It was my first time painting free-hand symbols on a model (I’ve painted freehand on bigger surfaces before). And everything came out great! This just proves a personal motto of mine, Just do it. It will come out better than you think it will.”

Here’s the (basically) finished model, and this picture really shows how effective the “Future Shine” wash was – all the brown shading is from that wash.

Imperial Knight
Also, I’m not very experienced with decals, and those came out great, too!

Continue reading The Year of Painting: Imperial Knight, Part 4

The Year of Painting: Imperial Knight, Part 3

Finally, Part 3!

After I got the blue, white, and black airbrushed on, I did a wash. This was also airbrushed on – a mix of brown paint and Pledge Floor Care (aka the legendary Future Shine). Immediately after I applied the layer of paint and floor shine, I wiped it with an old t-shirt. This allows you to push the paint/Pledge mix into the crevices, giving a nice aging to the model before I applied more paint.

Here are some pics!  Continue reading The Year of Painting: Imperial Knight, Part 3

The Year of Painting: Imperial Knight, Part 2

Continuing from where I left off

Once I laid down the metallics, I added the color. I only wanted to add two colors with the airbrush – blue (GW’s Thunderhawk Blue) and black (Vallejo model color). I was extremely worried about mixing the GW paint – how to get it out of the pot, what to mix it with, how “milky” should it be?

I got the paint from the pot to a mixing cup by using a small popsicle stick (one intended for crafting). I then poured in some isopropyl alcohol to thin it and some airbrush medium (Golden brand) to help it “flow,” although I’m not 100% sure what that means. When the color stuck to the sides of the cup, but the majority of the liquid flowed back down, I decided to go for it.

Much to my surprise, it flowed perfectly, coated evenly, and worked like a charm. The GW paints are really, really good acrylic paints, and so far, no matter how I mix them, they seem to work really well. They are, of course, more expensive than most any other paint. But the results were spectacular.

Imperial Knight with blue coat
My reaction was pretty much, “Wow.”

For the top armor plate, I did some black airbrushing around the edges to give a dark undercoat, then layered with blue. The result was precisely what I intended! Continue reading The Year of Painting: Imperial Knight, Part 2

The Year of Painting: Imperial Knight, Part 1

One of the most intimidating figures I have as far as painting goes is the Imperial Knight. But, since it’s The Year of Painting, I decided to jump right at it. I left some pieces off for painting – the top armor, shoulders, and faceplate – but really, I should have left all the armor off – I would have had a much easier time!

I started with a normal coat of gray spray primer (I used the hardware store brands):

Imperial Knight primed
Primed! A good spray booth, and you can use spray primer in the house (well, in the basement). I’ll cover this some time in another post.

I then airbrushed black over the mechanical parts, leaving the armor plates gray: Continue reading The Year of Painting: Imperial Knight, Part 1