Next up in my growing collection of Imperial Knights of House Basilius is the Black Queen, a Knight Gallant piloted by Baroness Lucinda. She is the King’s Gladius, a position like the Master of Judgment found in many other Imperial-aligned Houses.
After priming, the first thing I do is lay down the base colors. In this case, Black Queen got a lot of black alongside the basic blue of House Basilius:
When we last left the first Imperial Knight I painted, he was basically finished. But when I started one my second and third Imperial Knights, I realized there were things I wanted to touch up on my first Knight.
I also created his fluff – meet Sir Sardaur of House Basilius, pilot of the Imperial Knight Paladin named Adamantine. Sir Sardaur is the King’s Herald, a position which is given by tradition of the House to an up-and-coming Knight (rather than a Baron) as a sign of the King’s favor. Sir Sardaur’s personal sigil is a sword driven through a heart.
It’s probably boring just to see painted Terminators without any commentary or advice or tutorials or anything. But I am painting up a storm this year, and I want to post about it. Here’s five more of the Angels of Condemnation!
I have a lot of love for the Contemptor dreadnoughts – they look nimble and yet hearty, and they look both advanced and anachronistic compared to the standard dreadnought. I love them… but I wasn’t quite ready to buy a few from Forge World.
The Betrayal at Calth set gave us the plastic Contemptor, albeit in a single pose. So, with two plastic Contemptors in hand, I ordered the Relic Contemptor I’d had my eye on for years, as well as a variety of arms. With a jeweler’s saw and some green stuff, I magnetized all three of these at the elbow, and reposed the legs of the single pose Contemptor. I was also able to give one of the plastic Contemptors a different head (from the Contemptor Whirlwind pack) as well as a magnet on top for an optional missile rack. Here’s the end result:
From left to right, they are Ultera, Optimus, and Omegas. To prove they’re all magnetized, here’re some bits swapped around!
And while I was at it, I got a nice Cyclonic Melta Lance for Maximir!
Maximir, the Leviathan Dreanought of the Basilican Space Marines Chapter, stands finished!
The base has been painted up, some more scrollwork was added to the left shoulder, the cross was added to the right shoulder, and various nicks and scratches were painted in. Also, his torso-mounted heavy flamers were painted. Here are more photos!
I love Terminators. Space Marines in the old “Tactical Dreadnought Armor” just look kickass, in my opinion. I became obsessed with Warhammer 40,000 after playing Dawn of War (prior to that, I was aware of 40k, but uninterested in spending money on it). In Dawn of War, the Terminators were clearly the most deadly, invincible Space Marines ever to enter the battlefield… and they had great quotes! (“The Emperor’s finest reporting!”)
So… the Deathwing are basically an army made entirely of Terminators. What’s not to love? Well, I didn’t love what it would cost to buy that many Terminators… so an army of Terminators became something of a pipedream.
Enter Dark Vengeance, a starter set full of Dark Angels, containing five Terminators. This set flooded the secondary market, such that a person could get 5 Terminators on ebay for $10 (instead of $50 or $60). So I did what any reasonable person would do – bought a ton of them and started cutting them up and customizing them.
I am, of course, dedicated to no two models looking exactly the same (even before they’re painted), so this was a fun pet project to make four poses look like fifty poses. In the end, I also used the Deathwing Terminators box, both for extra bits, and because Deathwing Knights look amazing, so I wanted some of those.
Early on, I was going to simply paint them like my custom Codex Chapter, the Basilicans, and simply have them “count as” Deathwing… but I decided that I like inventing fluff (and the Dark Angels are a cool parent Chapter to have), so instead I invented… The Angels of Condemnation!
So I’ve made great (if slow) progress on the Leviathan Dreadnought (affectionately called “Max”). After priming, I put on my blue basecoat. This didn’t go so well – not sure if the primer didn’t take, or the paint mix was wrong, but I had to strip him once and still had problems with the second try. Still, I got it done eventually.
Then I followed my normal process – I added other base colors over the model, such as the joints, the grill on the chest, and the blades of the claws. Then, I did an airbrushed wash using Pledge floor wax mixed with a burnt umber, and wiped most of it away with a t-shirt. That left me with this:
I really loved Forgeworld’s Leviathan Dreadnought when I saw it, and the model did not disappoint. It’s massive and hefty, which is what I think of when I think “dreadnought.” I got a siege claw and a storm cannon to go on for now.
I magnetized the weapons at the elbow, which seemed easier than the shoulder joint. I also magnetized the flamer/volkite weapons at the waist. I didn’t magnetize the missile launcher/phosphex discharger – there’s not much area to drill into except detail I didn’t want to ruin, and it’s an easy piece to tack on with wall mounting putty if I want to.
My favorite part of assembling it, though, was making a nice decorative base. Using the front bit of a Rhino (left over from a Demolisher), a Rhino door, Chaos Space Marine bits, and some Rhino tracks I got in a bits box, I gave the Leviathan Dreadnought something nice to stand on.
Assembled and posed, this is now one of my favorite minis that I own. For this picture, I tacked the model together, but I intend to paint it separately (base, legs, body, head, top cover, and weapons individually).