Introducing… the Angels of Condemnation!

I love Terminators. Space Marines in the old “Tactical Dreadnought Armor” just look kickass, in my opinion. I became obsessed with Warhammer 40,000 after playing Dawn of War (prior to that, I was aware of 40k, but uninterested in spending money on it). In Dawn of War, the Terminators were clearly the most deadly, invincible Space Marines ever to enter the battlefield… and they had great quotes! (“The Emperor’s finest reporting!”)

So… the Deathwing are basically an army made entirely of Terminators. What’s not to love? Well, I didn’t love what it would cost to buy that many Terminators… so an army of Terminators became something of a pipedream.

Enter Dark Vengeance, a starter set full of Dark Angels, containing five Terminators. This set flooded the secondary market, such that a person could get 5 Terminators on ebay for $10 (instead of $50 or $60). So I did what any reasonable person would do – bought a ton of them and started cutting them up and customizing them.

I am, of course, dedicated to no two models looking exactly the same (even before they’re painted), so this was a fun pet project to make four poses look like fifty poses. In the end, I also used the Deathwing Terminators box, both for extra bits, and because Deathwing Knights look amazing, so I wanted some of those.

Early on, I was going to simply paint them like my custom Codex Chapter, the Basilicans, and simply have them “count as” Deathwing… but I decided that I like inventing fluff (and the Dark Angels are a cool parent Chapter to have), so instead I invented… The Angels of Condemnation!

Continue reading Introducing… the Angels of Condemnation!

Painting the Leviathan Dreadnought, Part 1

So I’ve made great (if slow) progress on the Leviathan Dreadnought (affectionately called “Max”). After priming, I put on my blue basecoat. This didn’t go so well – not sure if the primer didn’t take, or the paint mix was wrong, but I had to strip him once and still had problems with the second try. Still, I got it done eventually.

Then I followed my normal process – I added other base colors over the model, such as the joints, the grill on the chest, and the blades of the claws. Then, I did an airbrushed wash using Pledge floor wax mixed with a burnt umber, and wiped most of it away with a t-shirt. That left me with this:

All the parts of the dreadnought, painted
Paper plates are my palettes, my model trays, and my lifelong friends.

Continue reading Painting the Leviathan Dreadnought, Part 1