One of the most intimidating figures I have as far as painting goes is the Imperial Knight. But, since it’s The Year of Painting, I decided to jump right at it. I left some pieces off for painting – the top armor, shoulders, and faceplate – but really, I should have left all the armor off – I would have had a much easier time!
I started with a normal coat of gray spray primer (I used the hardware store brands):
I then airbrushed black over the mechanical parts, leaving the armor plates gray:
I also airbrushed around the edges of the top plate with black. The black accents will form an undertone so that the top coats will be darker around the edges and the engine ports:
Then I airbrushed a Vallejo metallic (I think it was gunmetal) over the black, which gave a great metallic look to the robotic parts:
I also put a metallic silver coat over the head, which was still gray. This left a brighter metallic look. I was hoping this might show from under the faceplate.
That’s all for this post! In the next post, I add colors!
Thanks for reading – more to come!