Continuing from where I left off…
Once I laid down the metallics, I added the color. I only wanted to add two colors with the airbrush – blue (GW’s Thunderhawk Blue) and black (Vallejo model color). I was extremely worried about mixing the GW paint – how to get it out of the pot, what to mix it with, how “milky” should it be?
I got the paint from the pot to a mixing cup by using a small popsicle stick (one intended for crafting). I then poured in some isopropyl alcohol to thin it and some airbrush medium (Golden brand) to help it “flow,” although I’m not 100% sure what that means. When the color stuck to the sides of the cup, but the majority of the liquid flowed back down, I decided to go for it.
Much to my surprise, it flowed perfectly, coated evenly, and worked like a charm. The GW paints are really, really good acrylic paints, and so far, no matter how I mix them, they seem to work really well. They are, of course, more expensive than most any other paint. But the results were spectacular.
For the top armor plate, I did some black airbrushing around the edges to give a dark undercoat, then layered with blue. The result was precisely what I intended! Continue reading The Year of Painting: Imperial Knight, Part 2