In the last post, I showed you how to not magnetize the guns on the Stormfangwolf. This time, I’ll just show you how I magnetized the rest (but not the lascannons, which I just decided wouldn’t be swappable). Here we go…
First, the magnets for the front door area. I cut the “Helfrost Destructor” bit for the Stormfang variant near the front and glued the remainder to the top of the ship. The “vent cover” piece for the Stormwolf variant covers the gun when it’s in that form. I also cut the side tabs off the Stormwolf front gate. You should be able to see all the cuts in the photos, so let’s get to those:
The magnets here on the left hull piece and the middle of the floor. These two magnets are all we need to hold both front bits in place. You’ll note the swatches of plasticard – that’s used as a spacer to get the magnets in the right position. Once I find the right place, I use standard superglue to hold the magnet in place. And then once everything fits together, I go back over each magnet with a small amount of Gorilla Glue.
Gorilla Glue is like an expanding foam that hardens, and it gets into cracks and crevices and creates an amazing hold. So, once I know the magnets work, I use Gorilla Glue to make sure those magnets will never move again.
Here are some close-ups of the magnets in their places (for no good reason):
I made a mess of the inside of these pieces, but the inside isn’t going to be up to display standards, so I don’t care. It’s more important to me that the pieces hold together. Here’re shots of the two front pieces in place:
Here’s a shot of the top with some of its magnetized pieces showing:
And the top in both its variants:
And a final shot of the top of the hull where the turret and engine cover thing goes:
That’s all of the Stormfangwolf for now – someday, I’ll paint it and post about that!