In my previous video post, How to Not Magnetize, I explored the world of using wall putty instead of magnets.
The Space Marine Centurion kit has long intimidated me. I like to build “What You See Is What You Get” models (meaning that the model itself shows what weapons it is using in a game) not because I play with anyone who requires it… but because it’s kind of a fun challenge sometimes. The Centurion Kit has 3 chest weapon options, 4 arm weapons, and 2 more options for one of those arm weapons. That’s… a lot of permutations.
And the Centurions have very tiny areas where these weapons attach, especially the chest weapons. They are so tiny. So very tiny. Magnets don’t really seem to be an option for the Centurion, not realistically.
But mounting putty? That’s a whole different story.
I built one Centurion, and then started making and sticking weapons on it. Here’re all the various arm weapons (I didn’t swap out the chest weapon, but trust me, they are swappable):
The putty option isn’t perfect. Sometimes, it’s hard to get the right amount. Sometimes, it isn’t enough. But… considering what a mess drilling holes for magnets could be, mounting putty remains a really solid option for building a completely flexible unit without buying a million models, or asking opponents to pretend the lascannons are heavy bolters. Don’t get me wrong – I think people who are strict about that kind of thing are likely assholes, but I do enjoy the challenge, and I really enjoy using all the parts that come in the box.
In the last post, I showed you how to not magnetize the guns on the Stormfangwolf. This time, I’ll just show you how I magnetized the rest (but not the lascannons, which I just decided wouldn’t be swappable). Here we go…
First, the magnets for the front door area. I cut the “Helfrost Destructor” bit for the Stormfang variant near the front and glued the remainder to the top of the ship. The “vent cover” piece for the Stormwolf variant covers the gun when it’s in that form. I also cut the side tabs off the Stormwolf front gate. You should be able to see all the cuts in the photos, so let’s get to those:
The magnets here on the left hull piece and the middle of the floor. These two magnets are all we need to hold both front bits in place. You’ll note the swatches of plasticard – that’s used as a spacer to get the magnets in the right position. Once I find the right place, I use standard superglue to hold the magnet in place. And then once everything fits together, I go back over each magnet with a small amount of Gorilla Glue.
Gorilla Glue is like an expanding foam that hardens, and it gets into cracks and crevices and creates an amazing hold. So, once I know the magnets work, I use Gorilla Glue to make sure those magnets will never move again.
Here are some close-ups of the magnets in their places (for no good reason):
I made a mess of the inside of these pieces, but the inside isn’t going to be up to display standards, so I don’t care. It’s more important to me that the pieces hold together. Here’re shots of the two front pieces in place:
Here’s a shot of the top with some of its magnetized pieces showing:
And the top in both its variants:
And a final shot of the top of the hull where the turret and engine cover thing goes:
That’s all of the Stormfangwolf for now – someday, I’ll paint it and post about that!