YT-1300, the Finishing Touches

A long post, but I’ve finished the work on the custom YT-1300 for the X-Wing Miniatures game. Let’s review!

First, I put more plasticard in place to finish the structure of the bridge. I also use a small amount of Apoxy Sculpt to give it a bit more structure. The plasticard is a mix of cards from weird games (Transformers 3D Battle Game, Star Wars PocketModel TCG), gift cards (which are nice and thick), and regular old styrene sheets. I also used a plastic stick from something to add the tube to the bridge’s right side… which I figure must be where the modified concussion missile launcher is now. (It just so happens that YT-1300 diagrams show that the concussion missile launchers are where I put the new and improved bridge – right between the mandibles.)

Bridge Section - adding the top
Putting the top on the bridge
Close-up of bridge, adding the top
Close-up, for some reason
Underside of the bridge
Underside of the bridge. There’s a little bit of Apoxy Sculpt in there to make it easier to build the structure.

 

Then I started adding the details. This basically means carving lines into the plasticard in some places, adding extra plasticard armor plates or whatever in other places, then filing and filing and filing to get it all to look like it was meant to be that way.

Left side view of the finished custom YT-1300.
Left side view of the finished custom YT-1300.

 

Right side view of the custom YT-1300.
Right side view of the custom YT-1300.
Close-up of the new section where the cockpit used to be.
Close-up of the new section where the cockpit used to be. After looking at this picture, I went in and cut out some of the extra green stuff. The bit in the middle is cut off of an old Mechwarrior Clix mini.

 

Close-up of underside where cockpit was removed.
Close-up of underside where cockpit was removed.

 

Close-up of plasticard paneling where cockpit tunnel was removed.
Close-up of plasticard paneling where cockpit tunnel was removed. This isn’t quite perfect, but painting ought to cover that up.
Fix of a manufacturing defect
Another fix – when I was going over the model, I found a gouge in the hull that must have been a manufacturing defect I hadn’t previously notice… so I filled it with Green Stuff!

 

Front bridge close-up.
Front bridge close-up. This was initially very crooked. Adding extra gubbins and bits, plus some filing, and now it looks even with the hull! Of course, it looks crooked here because I took this picture at a weird angle.

And so it’s ready for priming!

It still doesn’t have a name, but I guess that can wait for painting. Next up, I prime the model and start painting!