More YT-1300 Conversion (Plus Firespray!)

I took a look at the arrangement of the cockpit after my last post and I decided I didn’t like it. So I went looking for a new idea. Eventually, I came across the freighter flown by the Smuggler class in Star Wars: The Old Republic. Here it is:

img-tor_smuggler_ship[1]
The Old Republic had Millennium Falcons?
As you can see, the concept artist used the YT-1300 as a base for this ship. I love the bridge section, so I decided to work with that.

I used plasticard to build up the bridge, but not just any plasticard! A friend of mine sent me a box of the Transformers 3D Battle-Card Game long, long ago. The cards are made of plastic, so I took some bits of one of them and glued them onto the YT-1300. This meant I had identical bits without cutting them out freehand. Check it out:

Side View
Side view
More side view
More side view
top view
Top View

 

Here’s a shot of the YT-1300 with extra bits identical to the ones I used on the model.:

Ship plus bits
YT-1300 with examples of the bits I used to form the new bridge.

 

I also decided to mod my Firespray model. I added a little dorsal fin (also made from Transformers Battle-Card bits) and some random bits to the front/top… maybe they’re a sensor array or something:

Firespray front view
Firespray with mods (the cockpit is masked with tape so I can repaint the model without losing the cockpit’s glossy black paint job)
Firespray - side view
Firespray – side view

 

Obviously, I need to do more work on the bridge of the YT-1300, so stay tuned!

 

YT-1300 Conversion for X-Wing

Hey, I’m back! After a long hiatus, I’m hopefully back to posting fairly often about cutting and painting plastic toys… so let’s get back to it.

The X-Wing Miniatures Game is very fun and features very cool Star Wars miniatures. One of those miniatures is the YT-1300 freighter, familiar to most people because the Millennium Falcon happened to be that model of ship. And since someone made a plastic thing, that means I just have to cut it up and personalize it. Actually, the YT-1300 was popular because it was modular and easily customized… so let’s just say I’m exploring the aftermarket options.

So, taking my trusty X-acto, I cut into the model. The resin of the model is incredibly tough – I broke a thin blade, so I went with a thicker (albeit duller) blade. Once I got the point through, pulling back to cut was easier. But I had scored it. If you’re looking for advice to do what I’m doing that’s the best I can offer. Once I got the cockpit and the crew-tunnel looking bit off, this is what I was looking at:

Photo of Millennium Falcon model with hole cut in it.
Major hull breach

I also removed the guns, just so I wouldn’t break them. They pry off fairly easily, but I did break a peg in the process… nothing superglue won’t fix later.

Now, I have some decisions about where the cockpit goes and how it should look. I want the cockpit down the middle of the ship, position forward, but with the windows high enough for a clear view all around (which is better visibility than the standard YT-1300 configuration has!).

I fixed the pieces on with tacky wall putty as I evaluate my options. Here’s my first thought:

Millennium Falcon model cut open, with cockpit fixed back on. Top View.
It’s a pretty good start.
Millennium Falcon model cut open, with cockpit fixed back on. Side View.
Side view

 

Millennium Falcon model cut open, with cockpit fixed back on. Front View.
Front View
Millennium Falcon model cut open, with cockpit fixed back on. Bottom view.
Bottom view

I like the general feel here, but some of it doesn’t look quite right. I don’t like the gaps between the cockpit and the ship (I feel like a cockpit should be strongly attached to the rest of the ship), and the way the hull meets the cockpit doesn’t look right (the bit on the hull is too small), but a little bit of work and this will be magical.

My plan is to reattach the cockpit, add some extra details to really customize the ship, then re-priming and repainting the whole darn thing! Stay tuned!