Storm Eagle, Part 4

Partial assembly!

Now that I’ve painted the interior roughly to my satisfaction, it’s time to cobble this sucker together! I used the bulkhead as a guide to square the bottom and left side first:

Left side, bulkhead and top assembled
Of course, as I stare at the model more and more, I become less and less satisfied with the painting work. It's on the interior, though - I'll do a better job on the exterior, right?

This shot makes the interior look better, so I’m including it, too:

Interior, front view
Yay! I love that bulkhead.

I then said a fond farewell to the interior and popped the right side and bottom on the model:

All four sides are on
This is a nice shot of some of the underside details, too, like the wells for the landing gear.

Unfortunately, as I was just getting some momentum, I discovered that Forge World had packed two of the left canard and no right canard! I know a lot of you have probably not experienced “double canard shock,” but it’s pretty brutal. Luckily, Forge World (and Games Workshop) have pretty great customer service when it comes to missing bits, so a new canard is on its way!

Here’s a shot of where I had to stop:

Assembled!
Mostly assembled! Double left canard!

And another shot:

Assembled 2!
Oh my! It's missing a canard!

These shots don’t provide you with a good look of all the places where patching and filling are necessary. That’s the nature of the beast – if you plan on building a resin model, have a plan for filler and patches. Green Stuff, Liquid Green Stuff, Green Putty, and Apoxie Sculpt are all good for different reasons.

I used Apoxie Sculpt so far on the Storm Eagle, but I think, in some places, I would have been better off with Green Stuff and Green Putty. Liquid Green Stuff is perfect for tiny gaps and bubbles. However, there was a big chunk missing from the front of the left side. I don’t know if I accidentally broke it or if it came that way, but for that part – which was a straight, flat part – Apoxie Sculpt worked perfectly. I’ll try and get some pictures of that for the next (and last) assembly post. After that… painting!

 

Storm Eagle, Part 3

Now for some painting. I know, you’re surprised. Painting never happens on this blog! Well, I’ve been doing more painting and I’m really happy with the results. That means I’ll actually start posting about painting.

Now, my painting method is “Base, wash, layer, layer, layer.” This is the method that’s in the new Citadel painting guide, “How to Paint Citadel Miniatures.” After reading through the book and watching the DVD, I decided to try it their way – previously, my method was more “Layer, layer, layer, layer, etc.” The improvement in my painting was instantly recognizable. I didn’t really expect this (expensive) book to be a big help, but I really hadn’t felt like any advice or other tutorials had helped me. I mostly bought the book because my wife was interested. Meanwhile, I am totally getting my money’s worth.

Back to business – I had to paint the interior before I glued the Storm Eagle together. I started with some really messy and poor methods, and that shows somewhat in the first few pictures.

Starboard interior
This is a wide shot of the interior on the port side.

In general, the paintjob is mostly messy, but I wasn’t really doing it right. It was suitable for the internet, and the contrasting colors will be fine when someone looks up inside. But I was pleased with the control panels up front:

Screens shot
I don't know what these screens are for, but they're turned off, I think.

Thanks to the wonderful point on my Vallejo Kolinsky Sable brush (and a semi-steady hand), this was actually very easy.

Here’s a (poorly lit) shot of the starboard interior, close in on the opposite control panels:

Starboard interior
Control panels look good, but the rest is so-so.

I wasn’t too happy with the finished products, but I was still kind of feeling my way through it. Then I had to paint the bulkhead. This time, I basecoated it with gray, then put a black wash in the crevices, then layered gray over it. On the lights, I based with a dark red and highlighted with a pink color to make it appear lit. I put an icy blue on the two lights overhead, then edged some things in a light gray. I even went for the gold and did the door frame on the front side with warning stripes!

Bulkhead, rear side
This is the rear-facing side of the bulkhead.
Bulkhead, front side
This is the front-facing side of the bulkhead.

Of course, when I then test-fitted the bulkhead into the model, I realized almost none of this is visible in the finished model… so… enjoy the pictures, I guess!

More to come… including some sidetracking on the new Storm Talon Gunship!