Magnetizing the Nemesis Dreadknight

When my Grey Knights came in, I immediately got cracking on the Nemesis Dreadknight, which you may remember from a previous post. This model looked like a really fun chance to magnetize something new. It was a huge success, partly because Games Workshop seemed to want to make it easy on me. Without further ado, let’s get to the meat of it.

For this, I used 3mm rare-earth magnets (1mm thick), a 1/8″ drill bit, super glue, Kneadatite green stuff and good old plastic model glue. I also made the following decisions:

1) I didn’t like the hydraulics supporting the arms, so I removed them entirely. Keeping them would make this project more difficult, but I can’t tell you how much more (since I didn’t do it).

2) I didn’t care if the gun barrels matched the gun housing precisely. (You’ll see what I mean later.) If you care, it would be easy enough to maintain the consistency with more magnets. But I think it looks fine my way (if not better).

3) The torso could easily be magnetized to the legs, allowing rotation of the torso at the hip. That could be pretty cool. I didn’t do that because it didn’t add much utility or style, in my opinion.

Now, on to the fun!

Firstly, I assembled most of the model, leaving the arms for last, since that’s where all the magnets are going. In these two pictures, you can see how I cut the hydraulics, leaving the ball joint in the shoulder and cleaning them off to be rounded. I think it looks much better.

Next up, magnets!
Continue reading Magnetizing the Nemesis Dreadknight

OMG User Overload!

Script kiddies have decided to make a couple hundred user accounts on Save Vs. Blog. This annoys me. I having added captcha to registration and I’m deleting user accounts. If I delete your user account, I’m sorry! I think I can pick out the real from the fake, though.

Just don’t take it personally if I make a mistake.